On my Facebook feed I have somewhere along the way liked the Huffpost.com. So a couple of weeks ago, a link popped up that was based on a blog by Wendy Fontaine. The topic of the blog was celebrating being in your 40’s. Well at the at time my birthday was looming, so the timing must have been fate.
I read through the article and it struck a chord. There is so much to appreciate about life now that I am a little older. There are those milestones throughout life; voting at 18, legally drinking at 21, renting a car cheaper at 25, running for President at 35. You know,those kind of things. So I started thinking about that she had to say. Sure my 20’s were a lot of fun, and I have to admit a little sketchy at times in my memory. My 30’s were wonderful because I was starting to settle into my own skin and life. But my 40’s are like the beginning of a new frontier, I am off to conquer life. Well, okay I am truly not that ambitious, but you get my point.
Here is the link to the original article: Wendy Fontaine- 40 Things I can Do at 40
And here are her key points. They don’t all necessarily apply to my life, but those of use near my age can surely relate.
1. Cook a decent meal.
2. Make a killer cup of coffee.
3. Tell the truth.
4. Have a healthy relationship.
5. Look past a person’s flaws.
6. Look past my own flaws.
7. Stay home on New Years Eve.
8. Pay my bills.
9. Go out without makeup on.
10. Go to the gynecologist without being embarrassed.
11. Go to a therapist without feeling ashamed.
12. Speak to a group of strangers.
13. Buy the good wine.
14. Handle rejection.
15. Read Didion instead of Cosmo.
16. Be happy for other people, instead of jealous.
17. Ignore the trends (skinny jeans included) and wear what looks good on my body.
18. Ignore the Kardashians, Rihanna and every other celebrity du jour.
19. Ignore people’s nasty comments.
20. Ignore my ex.
21. Stand up for myself.
22. Stand up for people I love.
23. Sit at a concert.
24. Take a cab home instead of insisting I’m OK to drive.
25. Wear a hat when it’s cold.
26. Stop worrying about whether people like me or think I’m pretty.
27. Be my kid’s hero.
28. Show her what independence looks like.
29. Show her what real beauty is.
30. Drive the speed limit.
31. Drop that toxic friend.
32. Avoid the drama.
33. Swear in front of my mom.
34. Swap the tanning lotion for eye cream.
35. Focus on the smart guy instead of the handsome guy.
36. Say “no” to stuff.
37. Skip the gym and go for a walk outside.
38. Stop trying to be perfect.
39. Let go of expectation.
40. Adjust to changes.
Her final point was that the best is yet to come. I have pretty good faith that this is true.
You can follow Wendy on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/wendymfontaine
So a week into the new year and Resolutions have been pretty on track. Some other challenges have kicked me in the kidneys already in 2014, but I am dealing. Perhaps there will be more on that at a later date. Hope that your year so far is fabulous. We’re one week in, only 51 one to go.
Cheers! And TA DA!